“He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.” (Proverbs 18:22, ESV)
Today my wife Becky and I celebrated our 20th anniversary. On December 18, 1993 at Rainsville First Baptist Church we became husband and wife, beginning a wonderful journey together. Here we are a few weeks ago. She gets prettier by the year, doesn’t she?
Becky is the best Christian I know. She is a wonderful wife. She is a wonderful mother. She is a wonderful pastor’s wife. I am grateful for every day of life with her, and I am looking forward to many more. After 20 years of marriage, it’s almost like we are just getting started! God is good. While I certainly do not claim to be an expert, I do wish to share six reflections on marriage that have helped us over the years…
1) Don’t expect your spouse to be perfect. Extending grace is an important aspect of marriage.
2) Focus on meeting the needs of your spouse before you focus on your own needs.
3) Work hard on your marriage just like you work hard on other things in life.
4) Forgive. Nothing is worth living in bitterness toward your spouse.
5) NEVER criticize your spouse in front of other people.
6) Pray for your spouse and with your spouse.